Tuesday, March 29, 2011

0 artist spotlight: sonia delaunay



In 1964 Sonia Delaunay became the first living female to have a retrospective exhibit in the Louvre. Why am I just finding out about her? When I saw Heather highlight her on Habitually Chic this weekend I nearly jumped out of my seat. Her work reminds me of two of my favorite male artists, Josef Albers and Frank Stella.

Sonia concentrated most of her work on the interaction of color and geometric abstraction. Along with her husband, Robert Delaunay, this Parisian pioneered her own art movement; Orphism. Clearly, the influence of this movement was long standing, as we see many abstract painting reminiscent of this style up to today.






She was also a textile designer; translating her love for color and rhythm in to fun mod patterns.




Don't you love her work? If you're in New York, you can visit the Cooper Hewitt Museum to see an exhibit highlighting her amazing life & work; "Color Moves: Art & Fashion by Sonia Delaunay"


Photos via Habitually Chic, Twin Space Ships & Google

No comments :

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I love your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails