Friday, January 17, 2014

0 interior design memories

babies kids interior design
My sister and I, back in the day. Yes, I know I'm missing some teeth there. :)

Some of my early memories of interior design come from my grandparents house in Mt. Airy, North Carolina. The house was small, and it was a 1960s ranch style that sat in the foothills of Pilot Mountain. It was completely unassuming from the outside, but was packed full of design details.

The front yard had fragrant bushes, and my Papa always had his truck parked beside the garage. When you walked into the front door, a small chandelier hung from the 8 foot ceiling. To the right was a formal sitting room, complete with french provincial style furniture and silk sheers that lined the entire front wall of windows. To the left was a hallway that led to two small bedrooms, a full bath and a den. The bathroom was purple from top to bottom, complete with a purple vinyl floors, tile, tub and toilet, in true 1960s fashion. I often thought "Who decided to make this bathroom purple?" It certainly wasn't my overall-wearing, cigar-smoking, grandpa!

The den was his domain. There was a TV (you know the kind that was built into a piece of furniture!) a heavy tweed chair + loveseat and a little leather footstool. My favorite part of that room was the black velvet damask wallpaper.(You can see a peek of it on the left side of the photo above!) It was so indulgent compared to the rest of the home and I can't tell you how many times I sat in there with my Papa smoking his cigar and me running my fingers across that wallpaper.

I don't have a ton of photos of that home but the memories of the interior design details are happy memories in my head. What are some of your favorite interior design memories? We all have them, and it's further proof that design matters. Your environment leaves lasting impressions on you. What impressions are being made by your current environment? Have a great weekend y'all!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think! I love your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails